Tuesday, October 28, 2014

{truth}


So when I was asked to select the theme for last week, I had no idea where to start. 
I first scanned through my own images to see if something would jump out at me and when that didn’t work, I started hunting for quotes from my favourite authors. 
I had a few that I thought would work but when I finally came across the one from C. S. Lewis, it was the perfect fit. 
So here’s the truth: judging this week has been a daunting challenge, not only in having to choose winning images but in explaining exactly why I chose them. Definitely pushing my comfort zone!




I selected this image for a number of reasons, it has a solid composition, the warm skin tones suit the subject matter, and it tells an important story. We think of breastfeeding as the idyllic part of motherhood 
but just like all the other mothering tasks it holds its own challenges.






............................







I like that this image opens up the imagination to finish the story. 
I like that the little girl is dressed sweetly and yet her crossed fingers suggest she might not be a saint. ;) 








............................







Who doesn’t love a good nose-picking picture? 
The goofy glasses and monkey jammies and the mop of bedhead hair complete it perfectly.









............................






I liked this shot for it’s great perspective. Sometimes we need to rise above the mess to see the big picture. 








............................







I like the subdued tones and how my eye rests on the girls sleeping face. It brings my own childhood sharply into focus especially those late nights when I was tired enough to sleep with the light on. 









............................








This little girl’s breathless expression is perfectly captured. 
Reminds me of the rush of post-dinner routines with little ones. We all need a moment to catch our great sometimes!









............................








Kids worry. Sometimes kids worry a lot. This portrait is reminder of how many questions a child’s mind can hold.









............................








This one is definitely a brave and honest self-portrait. The journey to beauty isn’t often that beautiful itself 
and high five to a woman with enough self confidence to not give a rats who sees it.









............................








This one reminds me of a Mary Cassett painting. Its warm tones and soft focus makes it seem dreamlike but the truth is, we have a knack of reminiscing through rose-colored glasses. If I was the mother telling the truth on this shot instead of calling back to “the good old days," I might not see it as quite that beautiful.









............................








This one just made me laugh! Toddlers are tyrants.









............................








The winner is…




I’m sure there were lots of people out there who saw this image and said “Amen!”
It is very appropriate for me to select a motherhood self-portrait as the winner :) I love the posture of both baby and mom, especially how babe’s knee tugs down at her shirt. (Makes me remember often tugging up my own.) 
I like the strong lines framing the subject and I love the contrast in tone and focus with the strong elements reminding us of the strength of mothers but the reflection of the afghan a reminder of their softness.  






No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts