Sunday, October 19, 2014

Feature Sunday with Jessica Byrum Photography!

The winner of our 'do what you love' challenge, the talented Jessica Byrum of Jessica Byrum Photography, has graciously shared a peek into her camera bag, and her life!  Read on to find out what makes her tick.

1. Please tell us about yourself...

 Well, I think everyone that saw my post probably already knows more about me than they ever wanted to know. 

2.       Can you describe your style in 3 words? Why those words?

 Simple. True. Colorful. I like to keep my photos as simple as possible, I like to capture what is actually happening, because that's what I want to remember. And colorful, because I love seeing the background in photos..I want to see all the details, from colorful toys all over the house to what color hand soap is sitting on the sink that day.




3.       What sparked your passion for photography?

 I thought I had a passion for photography before my daughter was born in January, but I was highly mistaken. I liked taking photos, I was good at it, but it was nothing compared to the passion I have for photographing my daughter. I look forward to watching her and our little Fisher (coming January 2015) grow through my lens.


4.       What's in your camera bag right now?

 In my bag right now is a Canon 60d and my trusty T3i. Along with my kit 18-55 lens (that I still love using), a 50mm, a 35mm, and a 75-300. Nothing too fancy here.



5.       What is your dream shoot or project?

 I dream of the days when I can take my kids out and go for a walk, and just follow them with my camera. I want to capture their wonder and watch them discover new things..without having to push around a stroller, while lugging around a diaper bag, and actually having to place them where I think would be a good picture.



6.       What are some of the misconceptions you had about photography and photographers at the beginning of your photography journey? Have they changed, and how?

The biggest misconception I had, is that you have to have the best/newest  gear to take great photos. I know now that gear is a small fraction of how your photos turn out. Anyone can buy a $5000 camera and take nice photos. But it takes true passion for the art to capture a moment that doesn't have to be explained..to create a picture that anyone can look at, and it makes them feel something genuine. 



7.       What advice would you give to newbie photographers? What advice do you wish you'd been given at the very beginning?

 Advice for new photographers? Just do your thing! Don't let the opinions of others change how you feel about your work. It's your story, tell it how you want it to be told. Don't ever make excuses for why you did something the way you did. Not everyone will like your photography..not everyone likes onions, but they're still sold in grocery stores all over the world.



Find more of Jessica's beautiful work here:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts