Tuesday, October 20, 2015

{low light}

“The dark does not destroy the light; it defines it. 
It's our fear of the dark that casts our joy into the shadows." - Brene Brown

When I first started shooting we lived in an old farm house in the mid-west. I felt like it was a double whammy. Not many bright, sunny days outside, and just a few small windows that let in a very little bit of light inside. But it didn't take me long to realize that I loved what this low light allowed me to do with my images. It allowed me to isolate my subject. It allowed me to very easily add drama and depth. It gave me these amazing pockets of light that were like little spotlights. All-in-all it allowed me to tell my story in a way that I felt incredibly drawn to...This week I loved seeing so many others that embraced low light and rocked it in amazing ways!







I love how the little bit of light that is there works in perfect harmony to highlight the whisy baby hairs and wonderful little rolls








.......................................









I love how chaotic this feels, like everyone jumped on the bed in excitement of what is outside and the depth that is there because of the low light, it feels like we are right there with them. 









.......................................








I love how the light and shadows wrap around the mother and son so gently, almost mimicking their soft and sweet embrace. The low light really enhances the tenderness of this moment. 









.......................................








I love the little pocket of light that highlights this moment and lets everything else fall into the shadows.









.......................................








I love the realness of this moment. I feel like this could be me or an any number of us who have spent countless hours editing/working in the dark, surrounded by a stowaway or two that found their way into our beds, illuminated only by our screens 








.......................................









I love the tight crop that works with the low light and shadows to show all the little details 









.......................................









This is absolutely stunning. I love how the shadows wrap around every curve so perfectly








.......................................









I love use of negative space in this. Also how the light acts like a spot light illuminating her little features. 








.......................................









What a beautiful self portrait. I love the strong center composition. I also love the contridiction of the powerful eye connection but also being partly hidden in the shadows.








.......................................








A perfect use of that pocket of light to showcase that sweet little smile.









.......................................









and the winner is.....







I love everything about this! The low light, the golden light, the leading lines, the eye connection, and that look she's giving. Everything just comes together so perfectly.


Thank you so much for having me this week and sharing your wonderful work with me!
Kelly Jacobi
Kelly Jacobi Photography

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts