Thursday, February 5, 2015

Meet This Week's Judge: Cindy Cavanagh




This week, we have Cindy of Image 421 Photography judging the "shadows" theme. We hope you enjoy her vibrant images and her thoughts on photography.



1. Tell us about yourself

I am an Australian who has an adventurous spirit. We have lived by the beach, in the country, overseas in Brazil and New Zealand, and we now live in Sydney. I am a Mother to 5 gorgeous children, and our house is crazy on an ordinary day. I love colour, and finding beauty in the ordinary.


2. What ignited your passion for photography, and what fuels it now? 

When we moved to Brazil, I arrived with a point and shoot camera. I was busy trying to capture the postcard moments, and felt frustrated with the quality. I asked for a fancy camera, and never looked back.


3. What's in your camera bag right now, what do use the most? the least? 

I am simple girl. I don't have a huge bag with lots of gadgets. I have a Nikon D800 with a 50mm, and 105mm. I use the 50mm the most, but I love the bokeh of the 105mm. I use it when I want to create something extra special, and I have a model that will sit still.


4. What's your dream project or shoot? 

I am currently working on a "beauty of motherhood" project. Sometimes, in all the craziness, we forget that motherhood is beautiful. I wanted to remind myself of this so I started this project. It combines my two loves: photography and motherhood. Here is a link to the latest update. http://www.image421photography.com/the-beauty-of-motherhood-project-mummy-and-me-sessions-in-sydney/


5. What is the biggest challenge you face as a photographer? Letting go! Letting go of what is correct, and capturing the emotion that I feel. Letting go to create the art that I know is there but has yet to shine. I love this journey, but feel like I have held on too tight. I feel the need to relax, and let it happen naturally.


6. If you had $500 to spend on photography. 

I would love a 35mm. I did a lifestyle session recently, and the space was tight. I really wanted to step back but the wall was there. I would LOVE a 35mm.



7. Is there any one thing you wish someone had told you at the very beginning of your photography journey?  

My journey is different to what your journey will look like, so this is hard to answer. I think enjoying every day, and finding beauty in what we create is the most important thing. We are artists, and believing that is the biggest stumbling block.


1 comment:

Popular Posts