Friday, February 6, 2015

Feature Friday with Momentologie Photography!

Courtney Maltman of Momentologie Photography is the winner of last week's 'high contrast black & white' challenge. Read on to learn more about how she describes her style, what is in her camera bag, and her advice for new photographers!




1. Please tell us about yourself...

There is a quote I recently saw while scrolling through FB one day, "If you want to learn what someone fears losing, watch what they photograph." This is so applicable to me and my photography. I am called mama by 3 amazing souls, and you will find them in most of my photographs. They are my inspiration and my reason for living, without them, I would not be here writing this! So, I guess I should thank them for this! :-) I am a bit of an introvert and have a close knit group of girlfriends that I am so close with, I consider them also my family. I love music, and art of all forms, and walks in the woods. I can finally say without hesitation, I am a photographer. :-)



2. Can you describe your style in 3 words? Why those words?

This is a difficult question for me to answer, because I feel like my style is ever evolving as I learn more and practice more. But at this moment, I would describe my style as:
Dramatic: Oh, for the love of black and white!! I convert most of my images into B&W. Why? Because it draws you into the subject, it's simple and clean, it's timeless.
Emotive: I want you to FEEL something when you see my images. I want you to remember the emotions and details for years to come.
Documentary: There is very little posing or guiding when I shoot. I want to create the most honest, authentic moments and capture true personalities.



3. What sparked your passion for photography?

I have always considered myself a creative person, but for a very long time I fell into a path that was not the right one for me. I was making decisions based on what I thought I "should" be doing, what others told me to do. For me, photography seemed to be the best "middle ground" for nurturing my right brain, but utilizing the best of my left brain. I borrowed an older dslr from my brother, and fell head over heels in love. But I was limited and knew if I upgraded a little, I could make some magic. I knew from the very beginning that I was drawn to moments and simple details, tiny pieces in time, stories I didn’t want to forget, and to connections and personalities. I started documenting my own life, my family and close friends. So, almost a year ago I invested in my camera and a couple lenses, taught myself the ins and outs of Lightroom, and voila! Momentologie was born!




4. What's in your camera bag right now?

I almost never use my actual camera bag, only for client shoots. But when I do, it's minimal. Just my Nikon D7100, and my two most used lenses, 50mm 1.8 and 35mm 1.8. Oh and an extra battery and piece of tape for freelensing. (I'm not fancy, but I am swooning over the Sigma 35mm 1.4) ;-)



5. What is your dream shoot or project?

I don't have one specific dream shoot, but I will soon be adding birth photography to my repertoire, and that whole genre is really a dream for me. There was nothing in my life more momentous than the birth of my children, and the idea of capturing that for other parents makes my heart sing! I would also love to get back to the root of photography, and start shooting with film again.



6. What are some of the misconceptions you had about photography and photographers at the beginning of your photography journey? Have they changed, and how?

Well, over the past few months that I have dove in head first into the online photo community, I have been shocked at the shear number of photographers out there! I had no idea there were so many, and so many that share some of my same goals and visions. I have made many new friends and can't wait to share this journey with them! One other misconception I had was that I had to do what everyone else was doing for any chance of truly making my art into a business. I got over that one real quick, and am continuing to follow my heart. I am here to make art and memories for my family, friends, and clients. <3  



7. What advice would you give to newbie photographers? What advice do you wish you'd been given at the very beginning?

I believe I will always consider myself a newbie, I am always learning. I learn something new about photography Every. Single. Day. It's a constant evolving process. If you look back through any artist's work, I think you can always see how they evolve and grow. I can't imagine hearing any artist say, "That's it, I have perfected my art form." There will always be room for growth. So, find YOUR way. Read, take classes, watch tutorials, practice, experiment...whatever works for YOU. It's your journey, not anyone else's. Follow your heart. Don't compare yourself to others ("The only person you should compare yourself to, is the person you were yesterday"), but do make friends in the art community (they can be your biggest supporters). Finally, take your time, the moments will always come. 



Find more of Courtney's gorgeous work here:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts