Friday, February 20, 2015

Feature Friday with Amy Lucinda Photography!

We're thrilled to learn more about the fabulous Amy Shire of Amy Lucinda Photography, the winner of  last week's 'delightfully chaotic' challenge!



1.     Please tell us about yourself...

I am English but I live in Australia with my lovely hubby and two wild boy things, aged 4 and 1. We love to be outdoors, whether it is the beach or forest, sunny or soaking. I am a city girl at heart but I had a very happy childhood in the English countryside, so it’s important to me that my boys have freedom and are surrounded by the beauty of nature. One of my favourite things is relaxing with my vintage record player and a large glass of wine, and reminiscing about my/our travels! I love to work with natural light, but my creative indulgence is the softbox app on iPad.




2.     Can you describe your style in 3 words? Why those words?

Heartfelt – I get so excited about uploading my images from the day, especially this year as I am committed to a 365 project. There is usually (hopefully!) one that makes me stop and muse on for a little bit longer than the rest. The one that makes my heart skip a beat and I hope will resonate with others too.
Visceral – I love this word! My boys don’t like to be photographed most of the time so I have to be creative with my angles and not intrude on the moment. A little part of me likes to think that this results in images portraying honest moments, which may provoke an emotional reaction in the viewer.
Developing – Some lovely people have told me that they can see a style in my work, but I feel that I am still experimenting with different styles and am quite envious of other photographers whose work I instantly recognise! I am far too indecisive in my processing.



3. What sparked your passion for photography?


It’s funny because when I think back to my childhood, I was always snapping away with my little girl camera, taking pictures of pets, days out, my family (who hated being photographed and still do!), but I never thought of becoming a photographer! I bought my D700 after my first son was born, and took lots of pictures, but I felt that my images lacked something. Then I took a few online workshops last year and my journey changed path as quick as you can click your sequin ruby heels ;)






4. What's in your camera bag right now?

My Nikon D700, 50mm 1.4, 24-70 2.8, lip gloss and Lightning McQueen. I’m saving for a Sigma 35!




5. What is your dream shoot or project?

My dream shoot would be to get all the people I love together for one day, have all of us styled in our own way, and photograph us having honest, natural fun on the interval timer! Many of the people dearest to me really don’t like being photographed so this shoot would definitely be in my dreams! I would also absolutely love to be part of an exhibition one day.




6. What are some of the misconceptions you had about photography and photographers at the beginning of your photography journey? Have they changed, and how?


I’ve always been a little bit starstruck around photographers I admire! However, I’ve recently started to realise that there is a fabulous, open photography community out there, filled with generous, creative people who are willing to offer support in any way they can. I also used to believe that some photographers started out on their journey as amazing, naturally talented artists, but I now know that everyone starts somewhere and the best way to become an artist is to capture what is dear to you.



7. What advice would you give to newbie photographers? What advice do you wish you'd been given at the very beginning?


I still consider myself to be a newbie in some ways, but the advice I would offer to myself if I could go back in time would be to enjoy the journey, appreciate that it is a long, slow one, but incredibly fun and emotional, which future generations will benefit from as your images will be passed down. Browse the net for tutorials, take workshops, learn the rules and enjoy breaking them. Take as many photos as you can, put the camera down and enjoy the moment too, and happily accept that the best picture moments will usually happen seconds after you put the camera away! Print your images and put them where you’ll smile at them every day.      

Amy xx

Find more of Amy's gorgeous work here:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts