Thursday, November 13, 2014

Meet This Week's Judge: Melina McGrew McConnaughy


This week we have Melina of Melina Nastazia Photography with us. Her nostalgic fine art photography is filled with beauty! Learn more about her here: 






1. Tell us about yourself...

I was born in Thessaloniki, Greece and came to the United States to attend Wellesley College in MA. I pursued an acting career that brought me to the Actor’s Studio in NYC. I now live in Brooklyn, NY with my incredible husband, Justin, and two wonderful daughters, Cecilia and Willow. I have been eager to tell stories through art my entire life, and my theatrical background greatly informs my photography. 


2. What ignited your passion for photography, and what fuels it now?

I miss my family in Greece, every day, and pictures have been the most valuable gifts that we can give each other each day. This became especially important after my daughters were born and began to grow and change so quickly. I am interested in capturing human connection and soul. The subtlety of a look, the gentleness or sensuality of a touch, the visceral love communicated in a myriad of ways through our body language. The focus, abandon or vulnerability we experience when we are lost in a moment, unaware that anyone is looking.  I also love creating conceptual, creative, fine art images, because I believe in the power of ideas and fantasy. Imagination is a strong emotional and therapeutic creative outlet. It is the spice of life, and can fill us with courage and hope!

3. What's in your camera bag right now, what do use the most? the least?

My Canon 6D. My Lensbaby Composer Pro with the Edge 80 optic--that is my go to lens, unless I'm working in a tight space. My nifty 50.


4. What's your dream project or shoot?

Oh my goodness!! There are so many! But I still haven't explored underwater photography and I know that I am bound to fall in love!!


5. What is the biggest challenge you face as a photographer?

I am just wetting my feet in the professional photography world and my biggest challenge right now is to be very clear about my fine art style so that my clients know what to expect from our session. I don't think it would serve any of us if I attempted to photograph in a way that didn't make my heart sing.



6. If you had $500 to spend on photography...

I would put it towards L glass!


7. Is there any one thing you wish someone had told you at the very beginning of your photography journey?

I am so thankful to have gotten wonderful advice at the beginning of my photography journey! The most important things I've held close to my heart are:
a) learn the rules so you can learn when to break them
b) be brave and shoot outside your comfort zone

c) put no limitations on yourself--shoot whatever makes your heart sing.





1 comment:

  1. What a gorgeous post! What wonderful and inspiring thoughts! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts