Wednesday, February 24, 2016

This Week's Judge: Meredith Rockefeller!

This week we welcome Meredith of Meredith Rockefeller Photography, and she's looking for mischief! While you're capturing those mischievous moments, learn about her journey and take a look at some of her beautiful work!



1. Tell us about yourself:

I'm a former high school English teacher, turned stay-at-home mom to one daughter (10), and two boys (8--yup, they're twins).  We live in Northern Virginia.  We don't have any pets yet, but my husband and I promised the kids we'd get a dog in a year or two, and they've already picked "Donut" for the name.



2. What ignited your passion for photography, and what fuels it now?

Even in high school, I was the girl with the camera, but it took me a few point-and-shoots, and a film SLR before realizing I needed to learn how to shoot in manual to get the results I was envisioning. My kids, and documenting our lives, are still my main focus, but as they get older and are often out of the house, I find myself wanting to learn new techniques or styles that I otherwise wouldn't have considered.  I do spent a lot of time doing sports photography for their activities; I wouldn't necessarily have pursued that on my own, but I am really enjoying it!


3. What's in your camera bag right now, what do use the most? the least?

I shoot with a Nikon D610 and the 70-200mm f2.8, 50mm f1.4, 16-35mm f4, 35mm f2, and 28-80mm G.  The 70-200 is my favorite lens, but I have really been enjoying the wider angle of the 16-35 recently.  It's fun to be able to include an entire room in a shot, and I love how small it makes my kids appear in outdoor shots.


4. What's your dream project or shoot?

I love the mountains, so I would love to shoot in Bavaria, or the Scottish Highlands, or have everyday access to a Lake Tahoe type backdrop.  Ideally, there would be perfect light, too!


5. What is the biggest challenge you face as a photographer?

I definitely struggle with the comparison game.  It's such an easy trap to fall into, and social media is such a double-edged sword where artistry and self-doubt are concerned.


6.  If you had $500 to spend on photography...

How should you spend it?
I should invest in a good tripod and remote; getting in the frame with the family would be a lot easier!

How do you wish you could spend it?
Hmm, I think I would spent it on a Lensbaby.  I the love effect, but always hesitate to invest because I'm not sure clients will appreciate the results.

How would you really spend it?
I have a bit of a bag addiction, so while I hate to admit that I would spent it on how I carry my gear rather than the gear itself, I would probably get the ONA Capri.  It's definitely on my list of photography-related items I'd love to have!


7. Is there any one thing you wish someone had told you at the very beginning of your photography journey?  
Hmm, that it is, in fact, a journey with a lot of room for growth and development.  Success, however you define it, doesn't happen in a linear fashion. 




No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts