Thursday, April 20, 2017

Meet This Week's Guest Judge: Tricia Satorius - Photographer

Meet this week's super talented guest judge, Tricia Satorius!



1. Tell us about yourself…
Hey fellow photogs! My name is Tricia Satorius and I am a stay at home mom to two busy  little toddlers: Grayson (3.5) and Kinslee (2). They are the perfect combination of crazy and sweet, and life with them never holds a dull moment.  I am a Wisconsin girl, recently moved to South Suburban Chicagoland for my husband’s work. Photography has been a creative outlet of mine for about 5 years. I recently made the decision to start my own LLC, about which I would have to say I’m equal parts excited and nervous about. Lord help me.



2. What ignited your passion for photography, and what fuels it now? 
I have always been a creative at heart. But it has taken me a really long time to find a way to express myself. When I got married my husband owned a Canon Rebel. I started playing with that, fell in love and never looked back. As I’ve developed my art, I’d have to say my biggest inspirations are light and shadow, beauty in the everyday moments, and laughter. I love the play of shadows and light and how they work together to create depth and emotion in images. The fuel behind my work as a creative is just that something in my heart that tells me I need to create. It’s in us all, isn’t it?



3. What’s in your camera bag right now, what do use the most? the least? 
In my camera bag is a Canon 6D and a 50mm 1.4. I have played around with other lenses before investing in more and I have found that I am a prime lens lover. So in the very near future, there will be a 24mm and probably an 35mm as well. I am obsessed with the wide angle look and I can hardly wait to start incorporating it into my work. I also keep with me a large, 5 sided reflector and a back up SD card.




4. What’s your dream project or shoot?
My dream project would probably be a third world project, or any type of project that helps people better understand the struggles of others. I envision homeless projects, depression and mental illness projects and cancer projects. Things that don’t often get talked about or photographed. There are stigmas surrounding topics like homelessness and mental or terminal illnesses and I think it’s time we stop separating ourselves, and start embracing each other.



5. What is the biggest challenge you face as a photographer?
My biggest challenge would probably be marketing and the business end of things. I have so much passion and creativity, but I’m terrible at marketing and client acquisition. 99% of my clients come to me by word of mouth. Which for now I’m fine with but I do need to learn how to get myself out there.



6. If you had $500 to spend on photography…

How do you wish you could spend it? 
MORE GLASS! Give. Me. All. The. Primes. :) I know $500 wouldn’t make it very far in the prime world but that’s definitely where I’d spend it if I could.

How would you really spend it?
Well seeing as I’ve been saving up for my 24mm for a year and could have probably bought it 3 times now, my money usually ends up going towards bills, things for the kids, groceries, gifts, birthday parties, ect. #momlife



7. Is there any one thing you wish someone had told you at the very beginning of your photography journey? 
Find the style you love most, get good at it and stick to it. I wasted a lot of time trying to do things that were not in my niche, but I tried them anyways because I thought they were pretty. But in the end, all it did was distract me from my gift and confuse my client base.  I think it’s really important to find out what makes the artist in you come alive and run after it.




Find more of Tricia's gorgeous work here:



No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts