Friday, February 19, 2016

Feature Friday with Cindy Cavanagh!

Cindy Cavanagh, the talent behind Cindy Cavanagh: Photographer, Storyteller, Artist, is sharing a look at her gear, her dream shoot, and her style.  Cindy is the winner of last week's 'swirls of color' challenge.




1. Please tell us about yourself...
My name is Cindy Cavanagh. I am a photographer who loves to capture lifestyle, still life, styled portraits and whatever beauty captures my attention. I live In Sydney, Australia with my husband and 5 children. My family keeps me busy on an ordinary day. 


2. Can you describe your style in 3 words? Why those words?Home, Heart and Beauty. 
Home: As a stay at home Mum,  home is very important to me. The moments we share on a day to day basis are what inspires me. The word "Home" also means my neighbourhood, my city, my country. My day to day landscape is so ordinary but when I open my eyes, I see that it is extraordinary. 
Heart: This word encompasses all of the emotion that I feel about photography and being an artist. It includes the emotion, connection, storytelling of my art. These emotions are what I strive to portray in every image. 
Beauty: I value the beauty of the everyday. A tree filled with spring flowers will attract my attention as I go about my day. I will look and admire each day until I decide to stop and capture it's beauty. Light, colour, movement are important to me. 


3. What sparked your passion for photography?
I have always loved photos. I loved looking through my Mum's photo albums as a child. However, it wasn't until we moved to Brazil that the passion was ignited. Living in a foreign country, I wanted to document are adventures. I had a point and shoot camera and I captured the post card moments. I started to feel a frustration about the images and wanting to learn more. Once I picked up my first DLSR, I was hooked. 



4. What's in your camera bag right now? I have a Nikon D800, a 24mm Sigma Art, 50mm and a 105mm. 


5. What is your dream shoot or project? Celebrating the beauty of motherhood is a  project that I have been working on for the last 18months.We often get weighed down by the busyness of motherhood and feel overwhelmed. Yet, we keep moving forward because of our love. I adore capturing a Mother's love. It is so beautiful. More importantly, I love for Mother's to see the love they feel for their family. 



6. What are some of the misconceptions you had about photography and photographers at the beginning of your photography journey? Have they changed, and how? I don't think I had any misconceptions. However, I had no idea how much time I would spend at the computer. With editing, blogging, marketing, and social media, a big portion of my time is spent on the computer. I try to minimize this as much as possible but it is part of the process. 


7. What advice would you give to newbie photographers? What advice do you wish you'd been given at the very beginning? To follow your creative heart and to nurture it. We are creative souls and often our creativity gets lost in the wash as we go about our day to day. We need to make time to slowdown and be creative. To be inspired every day and nurture our list of inspirations. If we don't, we feel lost and our art flounders. Well mine does, and I have made it my goal this year to slowdown. 



Find more of Cindy's gorgeous work here:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts