Wednesday, October 28, 2015

Meet This Week's Judge: Kristina McCaleb



This week, Kristina of Kristina McCaleb Photography wants to explore your imagination. She's shared a sampling of her beautiful images along with a few of her thoughts about the art of photography. Enjoy!


1. Tell us about yourself…

I am Kristy. I am a momma of two kiddos, Jack my 11 year old and Sophie my 7 (going on 17) year old. I have been married to my fireman husband for almost 13 years. We live right outside Dallas, Texas. I have been interested in photography ever since my very first photography class in college. I picked up a new camera (my first dslr) just before my daughter was born and haven’t looked back. 


 2. What ignited your passion for photography, and what fuels it now?

Stopping the moment. When I first took that first photography class I loved that I could make something that stopped time. I remember having my grandfathers old AE1 at that class and could feel how special it was to me to learn to use it. But It really hit me when my kids were little. With my son I had a point and shoot (and my old film camera) and I was always taking pictures of him. I remember when he was a little over 1 and got a black eye from running into something. I scooped him up and took him outside so I could take some pictures of it. I want to remember it all! When my daughter was born we saved and saved so that I could buy a dslr. I can still remember buying that entry level dslr at the store! 



3. What’s in your camera bag right now, what do use the most? the least?

Canon 5dmiii, an old Tokina 16-28mm, 24-70mm, 40mm pancake, 50mm 1.4, Sigma 85mm 1.4, and 200mm 2.8… I use my 85 and my 200 the most for outdoor sessions. I love my 50mm for my newborn sessions though! Since getting the 85 and 200 I have hardly used my 24-70 that used to be a fixture on my camera. 


4. What’s your dream project or shoot?

I would love to travel around the country and shoot diners and small towns. I have a big place in my heart for little old towns and hole in the wall restaurants. When we travel we tend to find the fun, out of the box places to stop. Like the center of the contiguous US in Lebanon, KS or the biggest rocking chair near St. Louis. So my dream would be to buy an rv and travel around the US. 


5. What is the biggest challenge you face as a photographer?

My biggest challenge that I have faced is confidence in me. I am a fan of inspirational videos and one says 'it’s easy to have confidence and faith when your bills are paid'. Well before I was able to become a full time photographer I knew that I had to make a certain amount of money with my camera or I couldn’t do it. I tend to pick apart my work but thankfully am learning to be more confident. But I think that comes with time, and skills, and natural growth. 


6. If you had $500 to spend on photography...
How should you spend it?
How do you wish you could spend it?
How would you really spend it?


If “I” had $500 to spend on photography I would probably buy put it towards a 35mm or 24mm lens. But if you are just starting out in photography I think you should put it towards as much education as you can. You can never have enough education in the photography world.



7. Is there any one thing you wish someone had told you at the very beginning of your photography journey?

Don’t compare yourself to others. And don’t look at someones social media and think that is their life. They may be taking 2000 images to get one good shot to show. We never know what is behind the scenes of someones life and it might not be as glamorous as you make up in your head. Also I wish someone had told me that I was good enough now. Like Maya Angelou’s quote, 
“Do the best you can until you know better. Then when you know better, do better”



No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts