Wednesday, October 7, 2015

Meet This Week's Judge: Allison Gipson Photography

This week, Allison of Allison Gipson Photography guest judging your "favorite things". Learn more about her here:



1. Tell us about yourself…  

My name is Allison - owner of Allison Gipson Photography in Honolulu, Hawaii. I am a momma, wife and have a long list of crafty-related hobbies that I love. Right now - it is safe to say photography takes up most of my day and time. I wouldn’t have it any other way. I just started taking clients again after taking a small break to focus on my craft and work. It feels so great to be back. I missed my clients bunches. 



2. What ignited your passion for photography, and what fuels it now?  

Initially, photography scared me. I went to school for journalism and my life-long dream was to work at a newspaper. When I graduated and got a job at a paper - I was handed a camera kit and told to “study up.” Scary as it was, I studied hard and fell in love with photography - the next year I won a number of awards for my photos and writing. Those early years at the newspaper absolutely ignited my passion for photography and still fuels me to this day. I may take photos in a much different capacity - but learning how to tell a story with one photo and in turn helping families keep their memories - talk about an amazing rush. As a photographer, I have always felt really honored that families and people put so much faith and trust in us to be there with them during special moments in their lives - that really fuels me. 



3. What’s in your camera bag right now, what do use the most? the least?  

I just upgraded and have the Nikon D810. I have been lusting after it for quite some time. It was completely worth the wait. I have been shooting Nikon since my early days at the paper. I also have the Sigma Art 35mm and at 24-70mm 2.8. That’s it. My 35mm is on my camera 90 percent of the time. 


4. What’s your dream project or shoot?

h. Dream project? I would love to start a documentary project of some sort. I have been doing quite a few personal projects (365, color shoots, five photos a day for five days) and they really do spark so much creativity. I have a few ideas floating around in my head. 


5. What is the biggest challenge you face as a photographer?

Doubt. In our world of social media, likes, shares and so on - it is hard not to gauge how we are doing based of the amount of likes or hits we get. I do struggle and wonder if I am doing alright. It is so easy to get caught up in that. I have to remind myself why I love photography, the reason I shoot, the clients I am helping and so on. With that said, I have found a really amazing community and the support is unreal. You sometimes can’t thank others enough for the amazing things they do.


6. If you had $500 to spend on photography...

How should you spend it?
How do you wish you could spend it?
How would you really spend it?

If I had $500 to spend? 

I should spend it on some new promotional marketing materials. I wish I could spend part of it on a new lens and I would most likely save it for a new lens I have been looking at. 



7. Is there any one thing you wish someone had told you at the very beginning of your photography journey?

One thing that I wish someone would have told me at the beginning is to find your tribe and love the hell out of them. It will be okay if you step back and focus on yourself, your craft and your art. You aren’t a failure for doing that. That all of this is so worth and it seems to be said quite often for a reason - but time is what all of it takes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts