Friday, July 4, 2014

Feature Friday with Ree Barnes Photography!!!

The winner of last week's 'open' challenge is the wonderfully talented Cheree Barnes of Ree Barnes Photography!  Read on to find out all about Cheree and what makes her tick.



1. Please tell us about yourself...

---Hi! My name is Cheree Barnes and Im from Tulsa, Oklahoma. Im the owner of Ree Barnes Photography! Im married to an awesome man named Travis who is a Tulsa Firefighter. (Eat your heart out ladies!) Together we have two kiddos. Lila, who is almost three years old and Mason who is nine months. Ive been in the industry little over two years and Im completely obsessed with photography! Not only do I love photographing people, but I love landscape and boudoir as well!




2.       Can you describe your style in 3 words? Why those words?

---*Authentic- I want real expressions, true emotion, and an un-choreographed setting when I meet with my amazing clients.
*Glow- The warmth of the sun creates such a magical mood, so I try to incorporate its love into every session.
*Casual- I want my clients to feel relaxed and comfortable. We are here to make memories and have fun! Ive kept in regular contact with so many that I make new friends, too!






3.       What sparked your passion for photography?

---Before having our daughter, we both decided I would stay at home with her for a couple years and then eventually go back to work. The day I gave birth to her, I decided that I never wanted to work for anyone else ever again. I wanted to spend every moment with Lila, my dream come true. My husband is very passionate about his career and wanted the same for me, so he drove me to the local camera equipment store and told me to pick out everything I needed. He has been my biggest cheerleader! Photography is something I have always loved. Living in such a beautiful state, its all around me. Im so thankful my husband helped me to stop worrying and start doing.





4.       What's in your camera bag right now?

---Currently in my camera bag I have a Canon 7D, 35mm, 50mm, 85mm (My favorite!) and a 70-300.  I like prime lenses the very most!





5.       What is your dream shoot or project?

---My dream shoot...Thats tough. Can I have two? :)
My first would be to travel the US along side Edward Curtis, photographing North American Indians in the late 1800's to early 1900's. Curtis' goal was not just to photograph, but to document as much American Indian (Native American) traditional life as possible before that way of life disappeared. Here in Tulsa, Native American culture is everywhere and its absolutely amazing!
My second dream shoot would be to fly to Tennessee and spend the weekend with Shana Rae Rosengarten of Florabella photographing everyday life. She is an amazing photographer who lives on a farm with open land and horses, chickens, barn cats and kids playing about. Her style is so laid-back and natural. It reminds me of my own childhood. I use her actions on my own work. She is just amazing and a true inspiration to me! Maybe someday Ill get the chance to meet her.




6.       What are some of the misconceptions you had about photography and photographers at the beginning of your photography journey? Have they changed, and how?

---One major misconception I had about photographers is that you could not make a living at it. When I told people what I had decided I was going to do, I got some strange looks. But, I see very successful photographers everywhere. I know now that it takes practice, persistence and it for sure takes time. 



7.       What advice would you give to newbie photographers? What advice do you wish you'd been given at the very beginning?

---Find another photographer, because we all started out as newbies, and follower her/him to a shoot. Hold the reflector, watch what they are doing and ask questions. Make friends in the industry. Dont be afraid to ask what you dont know. Im so thankful for my best friend who is an amazing human being and photographer out of OKC. Missy Ward of Limelight Photography has been my life preserver time and time again. Her generosity and kindness has helped me to grow as a photographer and we have grown to be very close. We lift each other up and thats what we as photographers, moms, friends and colleagues should be doing everyday with everyone. It can be a cut-throat industry, and its just not necessary. Love one another. 


Find more of Cheree's beautiful work here:
Facebook


No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts