Friday, February 24, 2017

Feature Friday with Life Takes Photography!

Faye is the talent behind Life Takes Photography, and our recent 'run wild my child' challenge winner. Read on to get a peek into her camera bag, and how she got her start in photography!



Please can you tell us about yourself…  I’m Faye of Life Takes Photography and I live in England, UK.   I’m a mother of two daughters, wife to an incredibly supportive husband and a documenter of our journey.  Motherhood, photography and a sprinkling of post-30 ness (my favourite decade so far, without doubt) has led me on a creative journey to really see life and begin to discover who I am and start to like her.
Photography gives me a sense of calm; there’s a stillness in imagery that feels quiet in an otherwise noisy world.  And when life is fractious, heading outside (preferably near water), with my little brood is my calm.  There’s no place I’d rather be, or no people I’d rather be with.  The way children see the world is captivating and I genuinely feel photography has allowed me to cherish and see that.




Can you describe your style in 3 words?  I think my style is still developing, I’d probably say unscripted, sincere and [personally] life-affirming.


What sparked your passion for photography?  My passion for photography was sparked when I had the girls.  I’ve found that when you start living from one school term to the next it can be hard to feel like your feet touch the ground. When life seems chaotic and the not-so-peachy sides of parenting are getting on top, my instinct is to get us outdoors – to the woods, onto the beach, to the park - to slow us down.  Photography in those places helps me to breathe, reconnect and really see the girls as they are, right in the moment.  It’s a real escape for me.  I also want them to look back in years to come and see themselves as I see them.


What’s in your camera bag right now?  A Nikon D610 with a 50mm 1.4 (my go to and not too bulky), some kids snacks and a hair band!



What is your dream shoot or project?  I think it would have to be photographing a woman bringing a child into the world, now that would be incredible.  I’ve been toying with the idea of a 365 project too as the growth I’ve seen in other photographers after completing one have been amazing.


What are some of the misconceptions you had about photography and photographers at the beginning of your photography journey?  I think my biggest misconception at the beginning was that everything you need to learn was technical and to check a certain amount of boxes before you become a fully-fledged photographer.  I hadn’t anticipated how cathartic exploring my creativity would be and that I’m constantly learning as the journey develops.


What advice would you give to newbie photographers?  I think I’d say photograph the things that make you feel something and keep doing it.  And to connect with others: there’s a whole community of photographers out there to inspire and encourage you, photography pals are some of the best!



Find more of Life Takes Photography here:

2 comments:

  1. Great Blog!! That was amazing. Your thought processing is wonderful. The way you tell the thing is awesome.

    Samsung Gear 360 VR Camera Pakistan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your kind words brookbuckler, apologies, I've only just seen your comment.

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts