Friday, February 17, 2017

Feature Friday with Erin VonRuden Keogh!

The winner of our 'authenticity over everything' challenge a few weeks back was Erin VonRuden Keogh!  This talented hobbyist is sharing more of her gorgeous work here today!



1. Please tell us about yourself...  
I live in Minneapolis, MN with my husband and two boys- 6 and 3. We have 2 aging dogs and an old cat. I work in healthcare, specifically program development for individuals with disabilities. I live about 3 miles from where I grew up, but we did relocate to Colorado for a few years before moving back home again.  



2. Can you describe your style in 3 words? Why those words? 
Oh my gosh, I'm so bad at this.  I had to ask a friend!  She suggested "unscripted" or maybe "authentic".  I definitely try to catch my kids being themselves.  They're very good at being uniquely them.  


3. What sparked your passion for photography? 
My husband works in video, so we’ve always had a nice camera. After my second son was born, I took a few online classes and started learning how to shoot in something other than auto. My husband bought me Lightroom and it’s kind of spiraled from there. My goal is to capture good, authentic pictures of the boys- ones where their personalities shine through. 


4. What's in your camera bag right now? 
I shoot with a Canon 5D Mark III, and either a Canon 24-70mm 2.8 or a 35mm 1.4. We also have a Lensbaby Edge 80 and a speedlight, which I never use!  I just invested in a Kelly Moore bag- and I love it.  Makes carting my camera to Target so much easier (and safer)! 


5. What is your dream shoot or project? 
A photog I follow recently did a day-in-the-life shoot at Disney World.  That sounds amazing! I feel like there is no better place to capture kids going through all the emotions.  I know my son did!  So if anyone wants to fly me out to FL with them, I am totally game.  



6. What are some of the misconceptions you had about photography and photographers at the beginning of your photography journey? Have they changed, and how? 

Probably that equipment is what makes a photo great.  And I definitely learned that it's the photographer.  While good equipment certainly makes it easier, I've seen amazing photos shot on just an iPhone. And light- I never really thought about light before learning how to shoot- the quality of light, the color of light, the direction of light- and it's all about the light! Utilizing light to my advantage is definitely an area I'm still working on!  



7. What advice would you give to newbie photographers? What advice do you wish you'd been given at the very beginning? 

I'm still a newbie! But I would say, utilize your resources! There are so many resources and online tutorials out there- and many of them free. You just have to invest the time. And become part of an online community. I think that’s been the most fun part of this whole learning experience. Meeting other photographers (even if only virtually) and having people who share a similar interest, are always willing to provide support and answer questions… it’s been invaluable. I have made some really great friends that I have never even met in person- but talk to almost daily! 


Find more of Erin's beautiful work here:




No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts