Wednesday, August 10, 2016

Meet This Week's Judge: Erica Burns!


This week, we have Erica of Erica Burns Photography. She's asked you to share your "inspiration" as part of this week's challenge. Learn what inspires her here!


1. Tell us about yourself...
Hi, I am Erica from Erica Burns Photography.  I am a wife and mom of two kiddos, my daughter Leah who is 6, and my son Owen who is 8, and two crazy golden doodles.  I live on Long Island but I dream about moving somewhere with a lot of land and wildflowers, maybe on a lake in the mountains.  

2. What ignited your passion for photography, and what fuels it now?
My passion for photography started when I was in high school and my father purchased me my first SLR camera.  I was horrible at it, but I am so thankful for learning everything about exposure in the darkroom because it has helped immensely with my photography today.  I would have to say what fuels me today changes day to day, maybe even hour to hour, but most of my inspiration comes from my children and capturing them.

3. What’s in your camera bag right now, what do use the most? the least?
In my bag now I have a Nikon D600, D300s (backup), D5000 (sits collecting dust but I have a hard time selling things), Sigma 105 macro, Nikon 24-70, Nikon 50 1.8, and my absolute favorite of favorites Sigma 35 Art.  I would say 90% of the time I am shooting with my D600 and Sigma 35 and nikon 24-70.  In my bag I also have a speed light (I rarely ever use), a daisy grip which is great for when I photograph toddlers, a small little elmo doll to put into the daisy grip, a first aid kit (you never know) and a squeaker which is great for getting the attention of small children or pets.

4. What’s your dream project or shoot? 
My dream project of shoot is probably to travel the world with my family and just capture the journey.  We love to travel and we took our kids around Ireland last year and we just want to show them the world.

5. What is the biggest challenge you face as a photographer?
The biggest challenge I face is the ups and downs of loving and hating my work.  I feel like I go through spurts, one moment I feel so inspired and I love everything and then I blink and hate it all and think I am horrible.  It is hard to not compare yourself, either to someone else or past success.  


6. If you had $500 to spend on photography...
How should you spend it?
How do you wish you could spend it?
How would you really spend it?
If I had $500 I would spend it on a workshop.  I wish I could spend it on the 70-200, but it wouldn't cover the entire cost.  


7. Is there any one thing you wish someone had told you at the very beginning of your photography journey?
I wish someone had told me that I would struggle with never feeling "good enough".  I didn't realize how much I would doubt myself.  I highly suggest everyone to read Elizabeth Gilbert's book Big Magic if you struggle with that as well, she really is so inspiring about living a creative life without fear!

website- www.ericaburnsphotography.com​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​


No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts