Friday, August 26, 2016

Feature Friday with Little Bit of Magic Dust!

Sanda of Little Bit of Magic Dust was the winner of our 'inspiration' challenge two weeks back, and we're thrilled to learn more about her and her gorgeous work!






1. Please tell us about yourself...
Hi, my name is Sanda Stankovic, I live in Melbourne, Australia. We are a household of 2 pretend adults, 2 kids and 2 (what was until last year 3) dogs. So, I have plenty of photography subjects.


2. Can you describe your style in 3 words? Why those words?

Genuine, everyday, ordinary. I try to take photos that we can all look back on and evoke emotions that were associated with that time and place in our family's history. A bit like when a certain smell takes you back to your childhood. I try to do that with photos, record the life as is but edit it in a way that paints a picture of how I am experiencing that moment. Photography is my hobby which allows me to develop the taste I like, when I have time. It has been somewhat of a slow process I must admit.


3. What sparked your passion for photography?
I adore animals. The physique of dogs initiated it all-the athleticism of dogs, getting that wow action shot became an obsession. I had a very modest camera but it was quite fast, so it all started there. My kids took it to the next level, no doubt because I wanted to turn it into more whimsical, story telling kind of photography.


4. What's in your camera bag right now?
I have the most simple gear. Most of my photography is with my 50mm 1.4g nikon lens and d700 camera. I am happy with those and it took me a while to use that lens well. I have been dying for a 24mm 1.4g, hopefully I add that one soon. I do have 85mm lens and a lensbaby but I hardly ever use them.


5. What is your dream shoot or project?

Snow. I have never done any photography in show. I would love to try it. Another thing is a studio dog shoot. I would love to do that one day. I dont have a studio and one day I would like to have a small one at home.


6. What are some of the misconceptions you had about photography and photographers at the beginning of your photography journey? Have they changed, and how?

My major misconception was that photography should be easy if you are gifted. I have given up many times and started again because I got discouraged at how bad my photos were. There is, like with anything else truth to that, but like with everything else, you really have to try, and try hard and really practice to improve. I also tried to imitate others, use all the rules of what makes a good photo and although there are some basic rules I follow, I found that they stressed me out and made it really not fun. So I really just do my own thing now and hope I grow in the process.


7. What advice would you give to newbie photographers? What advice do you wish you'd been given at the very beginning?
Two things: do not underestimate the power and importance of editing. Editing is such a delicate art and it can really take a photo to the next level or totally ruin it. I would invest in learning the basics of editing early on if you plan on editing your photos. The second thing is to learn the power of light in photography. The angle at which a photo is taken can dramatically change the story. 




Find more of Sanda's work here:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts