Wednesday, December 30, 2015

Meet This Week's Judge: Stephanie Mason!

This week, Stephanie of Stephanie Mason Photography asks you to share your favorite of 2016 - a great way to close out the year. She's shared some of her own favorites, as well as some reflections on photography.



Tell us about yourself: 
I am a lifestyle photographer specializing in children and their families located in Ottawa, Ontario Canada. I am a military wife, married to my best friend Josh. Together we have two adventurous and silly boys. My hubby and boys are my muse and my inspiration.
Just like many other photographers, my passion for photography began shortly after the birth of my first son. It wasn’t until the birth of my second (and last baby) that I realized my true love for photography and the art of preserving our everyday memories. My family (and pretty light) continues to fuel my inspiration.

What’s in your camera bag? What do you use the most? The least?
I have the Canon 6D and the Canon Mark iii as my main two bodies. I also own the sigma 35mm Art, 50mm 1.4, 100mm L series macro and the 135mm L series lens by Canon. I also own three 600exrt flashes but haven’t had a decent chance to really perfect flash and off camera flash work. It’s certainly on my list of to-do’s for 2016.

I primarily shoot with my Canon Mark iii with the 35mm (indoors) and my 135mm (outdoors). I rarely use my 50mm, macro, and flashes.

What is the biggest challenge you face as a photographer?
Time! I have so many goals each year and I am so proud to say that I’ve reached many of them but I know that with more time that I would be able to do more. This also being said I am more aware of my work/family life balance. I now prioritize my goals with the time I set for myself and work as hard as I can with the time I give myself. The remaining time is set for my family, which will always be number one in my life.

If you could spend $500 on photography, how would you like to spend it?
Rebranding or marketing! I don’t “need” anything in photography right now in terms of gear. I would love to spend some time and money with rebranding, marketing or continuing education (because let’s face it, there’s always more to learn!).


How would you really spend it?
Continuing education – I’ve learned that branding/marketing is typically a lot more than $500 so taking another workshop would be more realistic.

Is there anything one thing you wish someone had told you at the very beginning of your photography journey?
Yes! I was so worried about what other local photographers were doing. I wish someone had told me that it wouldn’t matter. I spent so much time worrying about other photographers doing similar things or being less expensive than me. That really all doesn’t matter as long as you are confident in what you are doing. 





No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts