Thursday, December 3, 2015

Meet This Week's Judge: Kristi James



This week, Kristi of Kristi James Photography asks you to share moments of intimacy. She shared some of her thoughts on the art and business of photography, and beautiful photos as well. Enjoy!



1. Tell us about yourself... 

  ---- Hello, I am a mother of 4 insanely unique children. Ages 11,9,7 and 5. Three boys and one girl and they all keep me super busy. I have been married to my prince charming Marine for 13 years. We have two fur babies- Copper and Tinkerbell. 

    We have lived all over the place- a few different places in California, Okinawa Japan ( twice) and South Carolina. I am originally from Utah. I absolutely love being able to move every 3 years and meet new people each place we go. I grew up on a farm and had a pretty amazing childhood. I am now literally living my dreams of being married to a military man, moving all over the place all the time and being a photographer. I have everything I could ever ask for. 

  I started shooting when I was young, around the age of 10 or 11. I would walk around our farm and take photos of the tree in the field and the flowers and the cows. I worked at Kiddie Kandids for a while. In 2007 I was finally able to purchase my first DLSR and was hooked on photographing landscapes and my children. In 2009  I wanted something for me, something I could also help contribute financially to our household. I have been vigorously learning new things each day since.


2. What ignited your passion for photography, and what fuels it now? 

 Photography runs in my family. I think what first started my love for it was when my dad gave me his old camera and I could go out on the farm and photograph it all. The fleeting moments fuel my need, want and love for photography now. You never know when that person or thing or place can be taken from you. I want to remember every moment, every detail, every look with my photographs.


3. What’s in your camera bag right now, what do use the most? the least? 

 I shoot with a Canon 5D Mark iii. I do have a Canon 5D Mark ii and a Canon 40D as backups. I have a 35mm 1.4L, 100mm 2.8L, 70-200 2.8L, 45mm Tilt Shift, 8-15mm 4.0L Fisheye, 50mm 1.4, Lensbaby Composer, Edge 80, and a Sweet 35.

My 35mm is on my camera 90% of the time. It is such a versatile lens. I can use it indoors for my newborn session and outdoors for my family and couples sessions.

I probably use by 50mm least now that I have my 35mm. The poor thing sits on my shelf and gathers dust now.


4. What’s your dream project or shoot? 

   Oh gosh, this is a hard one for me. I think I just shot my dream shoot. A gorgeous couple, beautiful light and an amazing location. I couldn't ask for more.


5. What is the biggest challenge you face as a photographer? 

    I'm sure many say pricing, but this one isn't my biggest challenge. I think my biggest challenge is saying NO. I feel the need to fit everyone in and make it work. I just can't say no and I need to, especially during busy season.


6. If you had $500 to spend on photography... 

How should you spend it? Probably just save it.How do you wish you could spend it? Honestly, I have everything I could ever want photography wise.
How would you really spend it?  Another 5D Mark iii body down payment. 

7. Is there any one thing you wish someone had told you at the very beginning of your photography journey? 

   To stick with what you love and if you find you don't love shooting something, don't continue shooting it just because it makes you money. Follow your passion.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts