Wednesday, September 16, 2015

Meet This Week's Judge: Angela McHenry




This week, Angela of AMchenryPhotography is with us, and she wants to see your "wild things".
she's also shared some photos and thoughts with us. Enjoy!




1. Tell us about yourself...

My name is Angie McHenry of https://www.facebook.com/AMchenryPhotography and I am a 35 year old mother of two. I have a son Eddie who is 13 and a daughter Greenlea (pronounced green-lee) who is almost 3. Much of my photography thus far involves my children as you can probably tell though, my daughter gets a little more time in front of the camera while her big brother is in school. Both of my kids love art which makes my soul happy. We live near Charlotte NC with my other half Robert who is a phenomenal sales person, business owner and musician. We have two cats Treasure and Pixel and a great pyrenees puppy named AJ. I am originally from a beautiful, small lake town called Wilson off of lake Ontario in western NY. Some of my fondest memories are of riding my bike around town and out onto the long pier next to the harbor and staring out at the lake. I have been called a hippie and free spirit by my friends but I also tend to worry a lot and be overprotective. I love autumn, real chai tea, coffee, pinot noir, lobster bisque and authentic Mexican food. 



2. What ignited your passion for photography, and what fuels it now?

The arts have always interested me, I love poetry, music and many visual art forms. The desire to convey thoughts, feelings and images in a tangible way have always been a goal of mine. When I was a teenager I started receiving compliments on photos I had taken and began to take the art form a little more seriously. At age 21 right after my son was born I became the manager of a small retail portrait studio and during that time my interest peaked. Shortly after we moved to NY to be closer to family with my young son and went back to school, got an associates degree in Liberal arts and took the only two photography courses the college offered. After my father passed of pancreatic cancer, NY didn't feel as much like home to me and we moved again to VA where I held part time jobs as photographers assistants and second shooters while being mostly a stay at home mom. My dad's passing forced me to examine his life and take note on how to better live mine. He was a hard working man who loved his career as a firefighter and inspired me to pursue photography (my passion) as a career even if it meant that I would struggle financially and have to wait years before getting to a place where I could start. Now I have an official business, fancy gear and a couple years of education under my belt. 2016 is going to be my official first year where I push my business forward and I am excited about that. 



3. What’s in your camera bag right now, what do use the most? the least? 

By camera bag you mean diaper bag right? I own the Canon 5D Mark III and the Sigma 35 1.4 art lens. That is all I own and use.  I love my gear.  



4. What’s your dream project or shoot?

My dream project is on the hush at the moment because I am laying the groundwork now but lets just say if all goes well I will be able to utilize my love of photography and writing alongside my desire to serve the greater good. 



5. What is the biggest challenge you face as a photographer?

I am super impatient so my biggest challenge is the slow growth process to get to where I want to be.


6. If you had  $500 to spend on photography...

How should you spend it?       I'd buy an awesome camera bag! 
How do you wish you could spend it?      On an awesome workshop! 
How would you really spend it?        On my kids and bills LOL.



7. Is there any one thing you wish someone had told you at the very beginning of your photography journey?

Master white balance FIRST and foremost ... definitely one of the most important things a good photographer needs to learn and unfortunately one of the last things many newcomers learn. 




No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts