Friday, September 25, 2015

Feature Friday with Momma Got Soul Photography!

Kelly Haymes of Momma Got Soul Photography is the winner of last week's 'wild things' challenge, and she has graciously shared more of her gorgeous work here today, as well as given us a peek into her camera bag, and her life!


1.      Please tell us about yourself...
I am a wife and mother of 2; a 4yr old and an almost 2 yr old. I stay up late, try to sleep late (thank goodness for cosleeping), and drink lots of coffee and beer (usually in that order, but not always). I live in sunny (which means really hot) central Florida, never go to the beach or Disney, but try to hike in the woods as much as I can. 




2. Can you describe your style in 3 words? Why those words?
My style tends to be all over the place, so this question is hard, but I would say I am trying to lean more towards a simple, fine art film look. (Trying is the optimal word there)





3. What sparked your passion for photography?
Life. I remember a time when I said I would never photograph people, now that’s all I do. I think it started with wanting to explore the world and capture that to share with people. Now I want to capture people to share with the world. 




4. What's in your camera bag right now?
My trusty Canon 6D, the Sigma 35ART, and the canon 85 1.8. I have a few other lenses that never see the light of day, and I’m hoping to add some more in the future (aren’t we all) 




5. What is your dream shoot or project?
Now this is a tough question, I don’t really have one. Is that sad? I am much more of a fly by the seat of my pants kinda person that I don’t really dream of things far away.




6. What are some of the misconceptions you had about photography and photographers at the beginning of your photography journey? Have they changed, and how?

That everything was a simple as just clicking a button. That you had to spend big money for big gear to do anything. The other big thing was I thought pro’s knew everything and never had to fiddle to get things right. They always knew exactly how to set the light or the perfect spot the instant they started shooting. While this is correct to some degree, they still take test shots, and move people around until they get the person in the right spot. They know how to gracefully bale from something that isn’t working instead of just pushing harder to make it work. These are things that come from time and experience. While I feel ten times more confident today than I did one year ago, two years ago, I know I have a long way to go!



7. What advice would you give to newbie photographers? What advice do you wish you'd been given at the very beginning?

Learn. Scour the web for education, take classes, find a mentor, take business classes, learn how to brand yourself, and just keep trying. Fine wine takes time to develop! 



Find more of Kelly's fabulous work here:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts