Thursday, July 7, 2016

Meet This Week's Judge: Sally Jean!


This week, we have Sally of Rayne Or Shine Photography. As she has chosen "reflections" for the theme this week, now is a good time for her to share reflections of her own work. :)


1. Tell us about yourself...

Hello! My name is Sally and I am a photographer in Edmonton Alberta Canada. I'm a mama to 2 gorgeous kiddos, a boy and a girl; and my eldest daughter Lily Rayne is the inspiration behind the name of my company ๐Ÿ˜Š  I've always loved to create; whether it be with a paint and paintbrush, words on paper, or moments in photographs; its in me to look for a moment and capture it.  I love to laugh, and am not quiet about it ๐Ÿ˜‰  My favorite color is green. I enjoy long walks on the beach..........lol ๐Ÿ˜‰ Just kidding, although I'm sure I would if I lived anywhere near one!  My husband and I are high school sweethearts and  I got my first "real" camera from him when our daughter was born.



2. What ignited your passion for photography, and what fuels it now?

It's hard to pinpoint one moment that ignited the passion; but the first few months after my daughter was born was definitely a time in my life that I knew I wanted to document. Like every single detail kind of document.  So I started there, and it kind of snowballed.  My kids will always be a big part of what fuels my passion for photography but it is coupled now with the knowledge that when I create photographs I FEEL good.  It gives me an identity that is different from "mommy", and allows me to be creative in ways that make my soul happy.  And if I'm lucky, other people will see my work and feel that...... that's the goal anyways!   



3. What’s in your camera bag right now, what do use the most? the least?

Is it bad if I say hair ties and outdated business cards? HA! I am a canon girl, and I shoot with a Canon 6D Body, a 24-70 2.8L, a 50 1.4, and a 70-200 2.8L.   The 24-70 is definitely my go to; it has so much range and lets me stay a bit farther back from the action and capture those real moments without having to be on top of people.  I have shot some of my favorite images with this lense!!




4. What’s your dream project or shoot?

There are always many ideas floating around in my head at any given time that its difficult to make them all happen.   I feel like I need to work on that this year, shooting more for me.  Right now the canola is in bloom in the prairies so every time I drive by an open field my mind starts going!!!!  In a perfect dream world I would shoot with Kate T Parker.  Her work inspires me daily!   




5. What is the biggest challenge you face as a photographer?

Marketing in a sea full of talented people.  It is my biggest challenge from a business perspective.  But the biggest challenge overall would be managing being a full time mommy as well as a photographer.  Working from  home is a balance, and it definitely isn't easy!  


6. If you had $500 to spend on photography...

How should you spend it?  Probably some kind of online advertising 
How do you wish you could spend it? A plane ticket to shoot somewhere exotic
How would you really spend it?  A new camera bag ๐Ÿ˜‰



7. Is there any one thing you wish someone had told you at the very
beginning of your photography journey?

That when you shoot what you love, it shows.  It literally shines through your art ♥  Allow yourself to be the artist that you want to be, and it will bring you nothing but success and a happy soul :) And some pretty awesome photographs ๐Ÿ˜‰


No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts