Thursday, May 5, 2016

Meet This Week's Judge: Virginia Greuloch!



This week, we have Virginia of The Good Life Photo, and she'd like to see you you honor the moms. Enjoy her beautiful photos, many of which offer her own interpretation on the theme.


  1. Tell us about yourself...
Hi there!  I’m Virginia.  I’m married to an awesome man who builds me things, second shoots weddings with me, and makes me laugh so hard my face hurts.  I’ve got two very spirited children, ages three and five, who like to interrupt me while I’m on a roll with editing, have dance parties to “Uptown Funk” in the kitchen, and remind me every day to try to not take myself so seriously.  We live just outside of Cleveland, OH, where I take modern, natural, storytelling portraits of really awesome people. 

2.What sparked your passion for photography? What fuels it now? 
Like so many of us, my kids ignited my passion for photography.  What fuels it now is my drive to improve, to experiment, to capture connections between amazing people, and to discover who I am through the process.  But my kids still have me picking up my camera almost every day. 

3.  What's in your bag? 
Nikon D750
Nikon 85mm f/1.4G
Sigma Art Series 24mm 1.4
Lensbaby Velvet 56.  
Occasionally I’ll borrow my husband’s Tamron 24-70 f/2.8, but 99% of the time, I’m switching between the 85mm and the 24mm.  I use the Lensbaby Velvet 56 almost exclusively for my personal work with landscapes and street photography.  

4. What’s your dream project or shoot?
My dream project is to use a series of interviews and photos to document people’s love stories. 

5. What is the biggest challenge you face as a photographer?
There are so many big challenges that we face every day personally, professionally, and creatively!  I think the biggest challenge I face is trying to balance being a mother and a professional photographer.  To remind myself that editing sometimes can (and should wait), to pass on some of the work that takes me away from my family too frequently, and that I should take a lot of time to give my full attention to the little people who sparked my passion for photography in the first place.  I took a little break from sessions at the beginning of this year to regroup and spend much needed time with my family and it was so very necessary.  

6. If you had $500 to spend on photography...
How should you spend it?
How do you wish you could spend it?
How would you really spend it?
My IT guy will tell me that I should spend it on two redundant 6 TB RAID hard drives instead of backing up all my work on a series of smaller external hard drives. 
I wish I could spend it on tacos for everyone.
I would really spend it on the storage, but still buy some tacos.

7. Is there any one thing you wish someone had told you at the very beginning of your photography journey?
I wish someone would have given me permission to trust myself and my instincts and just shoot what makes my heart happy.  I spent way too much time trying to figure out what people were going to want rather than thinking about what I want.  And ultimately, I think it’s about not thinking about it at all and just shooting what’s in you to shoot.    





No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts