Thursday, July 16, 2015

Meet This Week's Judge: Alec Mills


This week, Alec of Alec Mills Photography is judging our "bright" theme.  Enjoy the bright images, and thoughts on photography that Alec has shared with us!



1. Tell us about yourself...

My name is Alec, I live on an Island in the Pacific Northwest with my family, and I love bacon, epic views, Pink Floyd, and emotive art. I have been taking pictures almost my entire life, and realize now more than ever how much of an impact it had on me. I gravitate toward images that speak a truth or story, and want your eyes to move through my images and get stuck on details between light and shadow. I try to force perspectives, and savor out of focus and grainy images. 




2. What ignited your passion for photography, and what fuels it now?

I think I have always wanted to document life through pictures. My parents gifted me a film camera when I was 12, and I haven’t really put a camera down since. I was passionate about macro photography, and landscapes… right up until my daughter was born. I think a lot of us new mother’s get slightly obsessed with documenting our babies, and I was no exception. The past few years of capturing her young life has taught me so much about capturing people, emotion and honest moments, because I would only have a moment with the camera before I had to put it down again.


3. What’s in your camera bag right now, what do use the most? the least?

My Sony a7 (yes, I am a mirror-less camera lover), extra batteries and memory cards, gum, extra hair ties, and remote trigger.



4. What’s your dream project or shoot?

My dream shoot is to show up at a client’s home first thing in the morning, be a witness to tousled hair, yawns before coffee, weekend traditions of pancakes or hiking. I want to capture the moments that will stick with you in mind and body.




5. What is the biggest challenge you face as a photographer?

Home and work balance is always a tough one for me. Making sure I am not letting my camera take over, or my editing time overrun into family time. But on the other side, photography is my passion and I need to find the time to feed that passion and continue to grow. Balance, balance, balance!



6. If you had $500 to spend on photography...

How should you spend it? Put it in savings…
How do you wish you could spend it? Printing photos
How would you really spend it? On gear ;-)


7. Is there any one thing you wish someone had told you at the very beginning of your photography journey?

Just keep taking photographs, then take more photographs. You will be pulled in many directions, and all of them are right if you are enjoying what you are doing. Then take some more pictures.








alecmillsphotography.smugmug.com
facebook.com/alecmillsphotography
instagram: @alecmills

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts