Monday, March 6, 2017

Feature Monday with Alicia T Photo!

A little late, but no less fabulous, we are featuring Alicia T Photo on the blog today!  Alicia was the winner of our recent 'delicate' challenge, and is sharing more about herself along with some of her fabulous images.



1. Please tell us about yourself...
Hi all! I'm Alicia from aliciaTphoto. Born and raised in Winnipeg Canada, I'm the momma of 2 wild and crazy boys and married to a handsome rock radio DJ turned pool guy. My family is my universe. They are my muses. My hubs [lovingly] jokes that there are more photos of him in existence since meeting me than his entire life combined up to that point!
I'm raw and real and I wear my heart on my sleeve. I'd call myself 70% introvert 30% extrovert. I'm most comfortable in my own home with my own people, but when I do venture out into the big wide world, whether it be for a session, with my family or with my long lost friends, I'm reminded that I do love being around good people!



2. Can you describe your style in 3 words? Why those words?
Relatable, candid, narrative.
I had to get some help from my family & friends on this one haha. I know how I want my work to be seen, but I wanted input from the people who see it from the outside. These were the 3 words that came up most often and that makes me happy as that is EXCATLY what I aim for, since my goal is to create art that will trigger memories for myself as well as for my clients.



3. What sparked your passion for photography?
I started my photography journey when I was a whopping 5 years old. My dad has always been a hobbiest, so he got me my first camera when I started kindergarten. I still have all the prints of the images I took on my first day of school (somewhere....)! After that, documenting the world around me just became a part of who I am. I put myself through photography school in 2008/09 and graduated with a diploma in Professional Photography from Prairie View School of Photography in Winnipeg... sadly after that the camera got a bit dusty as I had a mortgage and student loans to pay off so I rejoined the work force for a few years. I picked up my business again in 2013 and have been growing it ever since! My love of the every day has never changed though. I decided last year that I would focus my energy on showing the world that our daily lives ARE good enough. That we don't need to live up to what the TV shows and magazines tell us is perfection. Our lives are and always will be imperfectly perfect.




4. What's in your camera bag right now?
I'm a Nikon girl. I roll with a D700 and D610, and have a nikkor 35mm f1.8, 50mm f1.4, 85mm f1.8 & 24-70mm f2.8 (possibly stolen from my dearest father...). But really, unless I'm shooting a wedding (which is rare) my D610 with my 35mm rarely leave my side. They're my go-to. I'm dying to add a 24mm to my bag though! I love wide.... I've also been known to steal my dad's circa 1975 Nikon FM 35mm film camera from time to time.



5. What is your dream shoot or project?
I would love to do a "year in the life" project for someone other than my own family. To do a half day in the life for one family every month for an entire year. I think it's so fascinating to watch how families grow and evolve and I would love to preserve the beauty in that.




6. What are some of the misconceptions you had about photography and photographers at the beginning of your photography journey? Have they changed, and how?
When I was first starting out my business, I always thought that photographers were kind of "clique"ish. To this day I get a bit nervous putting myself out there, but I have come to realize that the grand majority of us love to uplift and support each other regardless of our chosen genre. We are able to see and appreciate the beauty in anothers art, even if it may not be our cup of tea. That sense of community is a wonderful thing to be a part of.



7. What advice would you give to newbie photographers? What advice do you wish you'd been given at the very beginning?

Don't try to fit the mold. Don't try to be like everyone else because you think you need to. Be you. Find what calls to you and fly with it. Take this powerful tool and make it your own. Also, don't ever stop learning. Always find new things to try. Always find new ways to push yourself in your creativity. We all go through slumps. When you find that happening, try something different. Step outside your comfort box and rock it! Grow all ways, always.


Find more of Alicia's beautiful work here:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts