Sunday, September 25, 2016

Meet This Week's Judge: Jen Fredette!

This week, we welcome Jen of Mountain Pearl Photography as she invites you to share your varied interpretations of "Childhood Emotions". Enjoy her interview and photos as you get those last submissions in!


1) Tell us about yourself:

I am the wife of an amazingly supportive husband, and together we have four far-too-witty children. We live together on a 20 acre homestead west of Missoula, Montana. We have a furry German Shepherd, a fluffy kitten, a flock of hens, and a goat named Cookie. 

Now, the reason I am here :) I am the owner-operator of Mountain Pearl Photography, an on-location portrait and wedding studio. I also own Mountain Pearl Media, a marketing, graphic and web design company specializing in helping the modern-day business owner thrive.



2) What ignited your passion for photography, and what fuels it now?

No doubt about it, my family ignited the passion. I had always been taking photos, but when we started having kids, the image-taking increased immensely.

Now, it is the need, the urge, to create gorgeous imagery. Be it an image of on my children, a bride & groom, a new baby, a nature-inspired image, or a family, I just yearn to create images.

 

3) What's in your camera right now? What do you use the most? The least?

I am a Sony girl, through and through. My main camera is body is a full-frame a850. My go-to lens (use this baby 98% of the time) is my beloved 85 1.4. In my bag is my 70-200 (use it for wedding ceremonies), 50 1.7, 50 macro, 135, and 16-35 wide angle. I definitely use my 16-35 the least. I also have extra batteries, memory cards, and business cards in the my camera bag! 


4) What's your dream project or shoot?

My dream project is solely done in monochrome. I am a black and white junky, and wish I could edit all my sessions in just black and white. 


5) What is the biggest challenge you face as a photographer?

Definitely the biggest challenge I face is staying positive about my work. I need to remind myself every once in a while that I am worth it, that I am talented, and that I belong in this crazy "game" in the world of photography.


6) If you had $500 to spend on photography:
How should you spend it?

On a new 50mm lens

How do you wish you could spend it?

On a new camera (but that's enough!)

How would you really spend it?

On a new 50mm lens :)


7) Is there any one thing you wish someone had told you at the very beginning of your photography journey?

I wish someone had told me what I now tell new photographers-- never compare yourself to other photographers. It doesn't matter what they are doing, who they're booking, where they are being featured-- what matters is that you stay true to yourself, and you just do you. 




1 comment:

  1. What a great interview! Jen does amazing work- always stunning and inspiring. And look at that dreamy bokeh! ❤️

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts