Thursday, December 4, 2014

Meet This Week's Judge: Lynzi Berg!

This week, we have Lynzi of Lynzi Berg Photography. Please take some time to enjoy her beautiful monochromatic photography and learn a little bit about her inspiration!



1. Tell us about yourself…

I am an army wife and homeschooling mama to three amazing little boys. I love sweet tea and warm weather. I chat with strangers and rarely turn down the opportunity to tell people how much I love being a mother of boys. I am originally from Louisiana and I’ve spent most of my life south of the Mason-Dixon. We are stationed in Connecticut now and I am pretty sure I stick out like a sore thumb. That said, I love the opportunity to meet new people and have new experiences. 


2. What ignited your passion for photography, and what fuels it now?

Bad pictures. Seriously. I’ve always taken a ton of photos. You know how it is. You have that first baby and you just want to remember every second. So you click and click and click. Half the pictures are blurry but you can’t delete them because they are of your baby. Somewhere along the line I realized that it might be nice if the photos of my baby, by this time three babies, were clear. Ha! I took a class on shooting in manual, Making it Click by Mel Karlberg Photography, and I never looked back. Eventually my desire became not to just capture memories but to capture them beautifully. What ignited my passion has really become what fuels my fire. I still want to capture things exactly how I see them. In my case, I love an emotive black and white with deep shadows and some haze. That is how memories feel to me and that is how I want to document them.



3. What's in your camera bag right now, what do use the most? the least?

Right now I have a Nikon D610, a Nikkor 50mm 1.8, a Sigma 35mm 1.4, lens cleaner, lens cloth, extra battery, and a bunch of SD cards. Probably some lipstick and a pacifier too. Other than the pacifier I use my 35 mm the most. I love to shoot wide. I use my nifty fifty the least but it is my go to lens for free lensing and portraits. I don't have a lot of money to spend on equipment so everything I have is important!



4. What's your dream project or shoot?

Something HONY style. I’d love to do interviews and portraits of strangers. I’d also really love to do a birth. Wow those don’t even kind of go together, do they?!



5. What is the biggest challenge you face as a photographer?

Balance. I am right smack in the middle of transitioning from hobbyist to professional. I never want to be so busy that I don’t have time to be creative and to photograph my own kids. That said, I’ve got to earn some money so I can start supporting this hobby! I do want to share this passion with others but I also always want to have time for what initially ignited my passion for it; capturing my own family.



6. If you had $500 to spend on photography...

How should you spend it?
How do you wish you could spend it?
How would you really spend it?

I should save it and put it towards another portrait lens. I’m thinking 85mm this go around.
I wish I could spend it to have someone else design and build my website!
I would spend it on the little things like a tripod, a speed light and an Expo Disc.



7. Is there any one thing you wish someone had told you at the very beginning of your photography journey?

Don’t compare yourself. Be where you are and move at your own pace. It is as simple as that. Be inspired by others not intimidated by them.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts